McMaster University Managers and Administrators submit tens of thousands of position-related and employee-related requests per year. These requests range from creating a new position, to updating an employee’s assignment, to terminating or retiring the role. In the past, a paper-based HR Event Form was used to submit these requests. Due to this process being paper-based, many errors and delays occurred as a result of multiple points of manual data entry to multiple departmental approvals.
With Operational Excellence and improving the employee experience in mind, the HR Review identified an opportunity to simplify and improve this complex process – which would ultimately save employees time and resources, while complying with legal obligations. These were the key drivers behind the digitization of the HR Event Form.
In 2021, the Mosaic HR eForm project transformed the HR Event Form into an online, self-service process. The Mosaic eForms ensure that the correct information is being entered by the user before moving onto the next step. The turnaround time for form submission, including the approval to completion stages, within the system has been cut down, along with a significant decrease in errors, delay and re-work.
The first of the new Mosaic eForms were launched to the McMaster community on May 17, 2021:
- Request New Position eForm – to request new positions, and
- Request Position Data Update eForm – to update the attributes of existing positions
The successful transition to the new HR eForms is thanks to the cross-functional collaboration between the HR, UTS and Finance departments, as well as from the engagement and feedback from many colleagues spanning the McMaster community.
Feedback from users and departments have positively reflected the ease and simplicity of the eForm, the comprehensive instruction guides and training videos, and the rapid responsiveness of the team to mitigate any issues facing the user.
Since May 17 and as of November 30, 3,405 Position Management eForms have been submitted and 3,173 eForms have been completed across 264 departments.
The Employee Change Request eForms will launch as of January 18, 2022, which will automate the requests for Retirements, Terminations, Contract Extensions, Compensation Adjustments and Schedule Changes.
- Contract Extension Request eForm – To request an extension to a contract for an interim or limited-term employee.
- Termination Request eForm – To request that an employee be terminated from a position.
- Retirement Request eForm – To submit a request to retire an employee.
- Compensation Adjustment eForm – To request an update to an employee’s salary that falls outside the normal salary review process.
- Schedule Change Request eForm – To request a change to an employee’s scheduled hours.
Information about the new eForms, the transition from the paper-based HR Event Form to the digitized eForms, and their impact on users, approvers, and Human Resources, will be presented to the HR community, departmental/faculty managers/administrators, and strategic partners over the coming months.
If you have questions or comments regarding the Mosaic HR eForms, please:
- Visit the Mosaic eForms website (using your MacID and password) for support, job aids, videos and support
- Read the Mosaic eForms overview one-pager
- Contact Human Resources through email@example.com or (905) 525-9140 ext. 222-HR